10 Ideas To Get Outdoors When Life Gets Busy
It's no secret that there are tons of amazing benefits that come from spending time in the outdoors. Unfortunately, life can sometimes get in the way, making it hard to get outdoors with our families as much as we would like. Days fill up with errands, Dr's appointments, afterschool activities, and homework. Add to that sick kiddos, shorter winter days and the busy holiday season and outside time can become a thing of the past.
Here is a list of ideas to help keep the outdoor motivation strong even when life has other plans.
1. Put it on the calendar If you actually sit down and figure out when you can fit some outdoor fun into your schedule, then it's much more likely that you will make it happen.
2. Include others in your outdoor time Make plans with other outdoor loving friends and families. Organizations like Hike It Baby and Wild Outsiders Club makes this so easy! Host a hike or join one that is already scheduled. If you know that other people are counting on you, it's less likely that you will cancel. The kiddos will also be way more excited knowing that there will be other children to adventure with.
3. Find a spot close to home Outdoor time doesn't need to be something big and complicated. Go to the park or find a trail close to home. As long as you get outside, it is a win in my book.
4. Plan the night before Lots of times getting out the door is the hardest part. Get the clothes laid out, snacks ready and all the gear in the car the night before and most of your work is done. You can even prepare a breakfast on the go the night before, so all you have to do when you wake-up is get the kids dressed, put them in the car and go go go!!!
CLICK HERE TO GET MY FREE FAMILY GUIDE TO ZION!!!
5. Book it I recently booked a canyoneering adventure for my family. It was something we had never done before, and we were all super excited about it. Check out the fun here. Get online and find a guide or a guided tour in your area. Trying something new and exploring new locations is always good motivation. Book a campsite, book a class to learn a new outdoor skill, even something like an indoor climbing gym is great because it gives you skills you can use on your next outdoor adventure.
6. Sign up for a challenge There is nothing like a good challenge to get you motivated to make some goals and get outside. The 365-mile Challenge, 52 Hike Challenge, and Hike It Baby 30 are great ways to find your tribe and get motivated by others who are making outdoor time a priority.
7. Multi-Task If the weather is nice, pack up the kids and go do homework at the park. Get a picnic together and do dinner at one of your favorite outdoor locations. Mixing things up makes it so much more fun for the kids and chances are if you are outside there is going to be some adventuring involved.
8. Make a bucket list Sit down with the kids and make a list of all the hikes you want to do and all the places you want to visit. Hang that list on the wall or fridge so everyone can see it. Seeing the list of all the things you want to do in the outdoors and checking off that list is motivating and fun for everyone.
9. Just do it It's so easy to think of all the stuff on the todo list and lose motivation for getting outside. I am so guilty of doing this! If you have the basics like water, snacks, and good shoes then just get out and go. Don't over think it. Getting outside in nature is one of the best things that you can do to relieve stress, so maybe you need to say no to a few of the things filling your plate and say yes to adventure!
10. Give yourself a break If the busyness of life has gotten in the way and you haven't had time to get outside, do not beat yourself up about it. We are all doing the best we can. Use this list to help motivate you to get outdoors with your family in the future.
I hope these ideas help you to find some time to get outside this season and reap the benefits of mother nature. Do you have any other ideas that help you get outside. We would love to hear from you in the comment section below.
The cute adventure outfits on my kiddos are from Rags to Raches. We love how easily they slip right on. To check out all their cute adventure clothes click here.